Each year, sewer overflows occur in the City of Charleston due to the improper disposal of Fats, Oils and Grease in the kitchen drains. Grease congeals on sewer pipes, which causes wastewater to flow back into homes, businesses, neighborhoods or directly into waterways.
Proper Way to Dispose of Grease
- Allow grease to cool to a safe temperature after cooking.
- Use a container with a re-sealable lid.
- Pour the cooled oil and grease into the container.
- Place lid on container and dispose in the garbage.
- Scrape or wipe cookware using a paper towel or spatula into the garbage before washing.